Osun Poll: Gunmen storm collation centres, open fire in Osogbo

0
YIAGA PHOTO OSUN VOTER

Osun 2026 Poll

Spread the love

…Adeleke leads in tension-soaked exercise

BY MIKE DIKE, OSOGBO

Tension heightened in Osogbo, the Osun State capital, on Saturday night as gunmen suspected to be political thugs reportedly opened fire at some election result collation centres, sending residents, motorists and election officials into panic.

The incidents occurred hours after voting ended in the highly contested Osun State governorship election, with collation of results from polling units and wards ongoing across the state.

 

According to reports, the first incident was recorded at the Ataoja D, Ward 4 collation centre in the Fakunle area of Osogbo.

 

The suspected hoodlums reportedly arrived at the area and began shooting sporadically at about 9:45 p.m., causing people within the vicinity to scamper for safety.

 

Residents and motorists who were in the area were said to have fled immediately as the sound of gunshots reverberated around the neighbourhood.

A similar incident was also reported around the Salvation Army School area in Alekunwodo, Osogbo, where voting had taken place earlier in the day.

 

The development reportedly created apprehension among residents as the collation of results continued amid heightened security concerns across the state.

 

An eyewitness account from the scene said the presence of armed men disrupted activities around the affected location, while INEC officials were reportedly thrown into panic.

 

Security personnel deployed to the areas were also said to have faced difficulties in immediately restoring calm as the situation generated confusion among residents and election officials.

 

The incidents came at a particularly sensitive moment, with results from polling units being collated and uploaded to INEC’s Result Viewing Portal, IReV, following the conclusion of voting across the state’s 30 local government areas.

 

The Osun election has been keenly contested among the major political parties, with the incumbent governor, Ademola Adeleke of the Accord Party, facing a strong challenge from the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, while the African Democratic Congress candidate, Najeem Salaam, is also in the race.

 

The atmosphere surrounding the election had remained tense in the days leading to the poll, following allegations by rival political parties of intimidation, arrests, mobilisation of thugs and planned disruption of the electoral process.

 

Despite the allegations and pockets of incidents reported during the election, voting generally took place across the state, with the Independent National Electoral Commission proceeding with the collation of results.

 

However, the reported shootings at collation centres have raised fresh concerns about the safety of election officials, party agents, observers and residents during the crucial results-management phase.

 

As of the time of filing this report, there was no official confirmation from the police identifying those responsible for the shootings, while the identities and motives of the gunmen remained unclear.

There was also no confirmed report of casualty arising from the incidents.

 

The authorities are expected to investigate the shootings and ensure that the collation of election results proceeds without intimidation or interference.

 

The development further underscores concerns that have accompanied the 2026 Osun governorship election, with stakeholders repeatedly calling on political parties and their supporters to maintain peace and allow the electoral process to run its course.

 

The situation remained tense in the affected areas as residents awaited further developments and the continuation of the collation exercise.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *