Uncertainty, controversy mark APC primary elections in Ondo

0
Ondo State

Ondo State

Spread the love

By Adetokunbo Abiola

Uncertainty surrounded the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary elections in Ondo State,  as controversies over the screening and clearance of some aspirants persisted, with only three of the nine federal constituencies released, following Saturday’s House of Representatives controversial direct primary elections.

According to the results announced by the party’s primary election committee, Hon. Omowunmi Olatunji emerged winner of the Akure South/Akure North Federal Constituency primary with 9,237 votes, while Dr. Olumuyiwa Daramola secured the Okitipupa/Irele ticket after polling 6,547 votes.

Similarly, the incumbent lawmaker representing Ondo East/Ondo West Federal Constituency, Dr. Biola Makinde, clinched victory with 10,847 votes.

The remaining results as at the time of filing this report had not been released, as the Chairman of the National Assembly Election Committee, Hon. Iboroma Harry Dabibi and committee members were not available to announce the others, fueling speculations and tension within the ruling party.

The whereabouts of the election committee remained unclear as party leaders awaited further updates, according to a member of the APC State Working Committee, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

“What we know was that we learnt they wanted to address the press on the remaining six results of the Reps primaries. But honestly, I didn’t know their whereabouts,” the party official said.

A document circulating on the verified X handle of the APC, titled “Screened and Disqualified House of Representatives Aspirants,” listed Hon. Tajudeen Adefisoye, representing Idanre/Ifedore Federal Constituency, as disqualified, a development that generated widespread reactions among party members and supporters.

Others reportedly listed as not cleared include Olusegun Victor Ategbole and Seun Oluwashina Ajongbolo for Akoko South-East/South-West Federal Constituency; Rt. Hon. Arowole Ayodeji Samuel for Owo/Ose; as well as Morufu Tosin Ibrahim, Oseni Oyeniyi and Olaleye John Adedipe for Akoko North-East/North-West Federal Constituency.

Reacting to the controversy, Adefisoye’s team dismissed reports suggesting that Adefisoye had been disqualified from the race, describing the purported disqualification as “null, void and of no effect,” insisting that due process and the party’s appeal procedures were not followed.

Meanwhile, confusion deepened within the party on Sunday as some aspirants from constituencies where results were yet to be officially declared had already begun issuing congratulatory messages and victory statements to supporters.

Party faithful across the state continued to await official confirmation from the APC primary election committee amid reports that the remaining results may eventually be announced at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja.

In another development, the party informed the general public, and indeed House of Representatives aspirants, that it was ready to receive petitions of those who were displeased with the primary process at the State Secretariat, along Olu Obasanjo Road, Akure.

In a Statement, the Party’s Secretary, Alex Kalejaye said, “the party urges aspirants to take advantage of the availability of the Appeal Committee, put in place for the purpose of fair play and justice, to present their complaints.

“The committee will remain at the secretariat till all aspirants with cases have been attended to, in the interest of fairness and unity of the fold.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *