Insecurity: No terrorist base in South-west -DHQ

0
ARMY IN NIGER

Army in Nigeria

Spread the love

Says ongoing operations targeted at rescuing abducted victims, neutralising criminal elements

’Nigeria–U.S. joint strikes kill 175 ISIS fighters, several top commanders in days’

 

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed claims of the existence of a terrorist base in the South-West, assuring Nigerians that ongoing operations are targeted at rescuing abducted victims and neutralising criminal elements.

The Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, made the clarification in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.

Onoja said the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, extended condolences to the government and people of Oyo State as well as families of victims affected by the recent attack on some schools in Oriire Local Government Area.

He described the abduction of innocent children and staff as reprehensible, assuring that the Armed Forces were deploying all necessary resources to ensure their safe and unconditional rescue.

“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of all abducted victims,” he said.

Onoja urged Nigerians to remain calm, united and continue to support security agencies with credible information.

He said the military had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation in the Old Oyo National Park, neutralising criminal elements operating within the area.

According to him, current intelligence does not support claims of any established or structured terrorist base in the South-West region.

“The incident in Oyo State remains an isolated criminal act and does not indicate the presence of an entrenched insurgent structure in the region.

“The Armed Forces caution against narratives capable of creating unnecessary panic or emboldening criminal elements,” he said.

The defence spokesman disclosed that troops had already made contact with the perpetrators and were sustaining pursuit operations across forest corridors.

He added that joint operations involving other security agencies and local vigilantes were ongoing to flush out criminal elements and restore normalcy.

He emphasised that community cooperation remained critical, noting that human intelligence from residents would aid ongoing rescue efforts.

“The Armed Forces will not relent until all abducted victims are rescued and those responsible are brought to justice,” he added.

In another development, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says ongoing joint counter-terrorism operations between Nigerian troops and the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) have eliminated 175 ISIS fighters in the North-East.

The Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.

Uba said the coordinated air and ground strikes, which commenced a few days ago, had delivered a major blow to the terrorist group’s operational capacity.

He said the operations also led to the destruction of multiple ISIS checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment and financial networks sustaining their activities.

According to him, several high-profile ISIS commanders were among those neutralised, including Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as one of the group’s most significant global operatives.

“Al-Minuki played a central role in ISIS external operations, including coordination of terrorist financing, recruitment, logistics and attack planning targeting civilians,” he said.

Uba added that his elimination had severely disrupted the group’s command structure, operational coordination and external attack networks.

Other key figures neutralised, he said, include Abd-al Wahhab, an ISWAP senior leader responsible for coordinating attacks and propaganda; Abu Musa al-Mangawi, a senior member; and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, a senior media production operative.

The defence spokesman said the successes further underscored the sustained efforts of the Armed Forces of Nigeria in tracking and eliminating terrorist elements across the country.

He added that the joint operations would be sustained to dismantle all terrorist networks threatening national and regional security.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria, in collaboration with international partners, will continue to hunt down and destroy terrorists wherever they operate,” he said.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *