Oyo Schools’ Kidnap: Ogbomoso teachers protest, shut schools

0
Makinde

Gov Makinde

Spread the love

‘We have six suspects in custody, they’re assisting investigation -Oyo PPRO

Nigerian Baptist Seminary dispels rumour of another planned attack on Ogbomoso

 

STEPHEN GBADAMOSI, IBADAN

Academic activities were disrupted in Ogbomoso town on Monday, as teachers staged a peaceful protest at the Teaching Service Commission (TESCOM) office over the recent abduction of students, pupils, and teachers in the Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

Carrying placards with various inscriptions, the protesters marched through the town and called on governments at all levels to intensify efforts to secure the release of those still in captivity.

The demonstration was triggered by the gory viral video of one of the abducted teachers who was gruesomely slaughtered by their captors.

A video of the principal of the community school and a teacher with a baby strapped to her back, begging to be rescued, further heightened the tension in the community.

The teachers said the attack underscored the urgent need for stronger security measures around schools and safer learning environments for both staff and students.

The protest came days after Governor Seyi Makinde confirmed that seven teachers were among those kidnapped during the attack on schools in the area.

Speaking at a press briefing, the governor described the situation as “very difficult and challenging,” lamenting that some security operatives were injured by improvised explosive devices (IEDs) wired around the National Park where the kidnappers were keeping the teachers and the students abducted.

Makinde also revealed that the government had received a video allegedly showing that one of the abducted teachers had been killed by the kidnappers.

He said the development highlighted the urgency and sensitivity of ongoing rescue operations.

The governor assured residents that the state was deploying all available security logistics and working closely with community leaders, religious bodies, and security agencies to secure the safe return of the victims.

Meanwhile, the Police Public Relations Office (PPRO) of Oyo state Police Command, Mr. Olayinka Ayanlade, has disclosed that six suspects are already in custody over last Friday abduction of students and teachers in the state.

Speaking on Tuesday, he added that preliminary investigations revealed that the suspects allegedly served as informants to the bandits responsible for the abduction and killings.

“Our findings showed that some of the suspects were in contact with the abductors through telephone conversations and investigators are analysing those communications as part of efforts to uncover the full network behind the crime,” he stated.

Ayanlade further disclosed that security agencies uncovered discussions allegedly centred on routes through the National Park and locations believed to have been used by the criminals as hideouts.

“The conversations contained information on how the abductors could move through the National Park undetected and reach safe locations,” he added.

The police spokesman explained that the suspects were arrested during joint operations involving the Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Police Force, the Western Nigeria Security Network, codenamed Amotekun, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), and Agro-Rangers.

“The arrests were made possible through intelligence-driven operations carried out by joint security operatives working collaboratively to dismantle the criminal network,” Ayanlade said.

He assured residents that security agencies were intensifying efforts to apprehend other fleeing members of the syndicate linked to the attack.

“We are committed to ensuring that every individual connected to this criminal act is identified, arrested and brought to justice. Investigations are still ongoing,” he said.

The incident, which claimed the lives of two teachers and an okada rider while school pupils were abducted last Friday, has continued to generate concern among residents of the affected communities and neighbouring areas in Oyo State.

In a related development, the Nigerian Baptist Theological Seminary (NBTS) has said that rumours of planned attack on Ogomoso environs are unfounded.

The church spoke in a statement made available to journalists online on Tuesday. It was signed by the acting Public Relations Officer (PRO), Reverend (Dr.) ‘Gbenga Adebayo.

“The attention of the management of the NBTS, Ogbomoso, has been drawn to a trending misinformation that there is a bandit attack on the NBTS.

“This rumour has created panic, as parents are seen withdrawing their children in a near-frenetic manner.

“On behalf of the management, we would like to state that there is no bandit attack on the seminary or any of her ancillary institutions.

“The rumour is entirely false and such should be disregarded. The seminary understands that the concern expressed is a legitimate one, but should never degenerate into a panic.

“Parents should please cooperate with our ancillary schools to keep their children safe. The general public should please calm down, as the God the seminary represents is able to protect all within the NBTS, Ogbomoso.

“Thank you for your concerns. The Lord is with us,” the statement read.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *